6 Best Sunglasses for an Oval Face
Did you know that some sunglasses flatter your face shape more than others? But if you have an oval face, you can look good wearing almost any shape and style of sunglasses.
How to Figure Out if You Have an Oval Face
To find out if your face is oval-shaped, you’ll need a soft tape measure and a pen and paper to write down your measurements. Then:
- Stand in front of a mirror and move your hair away from your face.
- Measure the length of your face by holding a tape measure from the center of your hairline to the bottom of your chin. Make a note of that number.
- Next, use the tape measure to measure across the widest part of your forehead. This should be about midway between your eyebrows and hairline. Make a note of that number.
- Measure the width across your cheekbones, located just under the outer corners of your eyes. Make a note of that number.
- Last, it’s time to determine the size of your jawline. Hold the tape measure from the tip of your chin to the point below one ear. To get the full length of your jawline, multiply this number by two. Make a note of that number too.
The highest number you noted determines your face shape. If the length of your face is bigger than the width, you have an oval-shaped face. Other characteristics of an oval face may include:
- A forehead and jawline that are a little narrower than the cheekbones.
- A chin and jawline that are rounded.
- A forehead that is a bit wider than the chin.
An oval face shape and an oblong face shape may seem like the same thing but they’re not. An oval face resembles the shape of an upside-down egg. An oblong face is longer with a more narrow forehead than an oval face.
6 Best Sunglasses for Oval Faces
Even though most sunglasses will flatter your face, there are some shapes that look better than others. Read on to learn which shade styles will look the best on your oval-shaped face:
You don’t have to be Tom Cruise to rock a pair of aviators. The teardrop shape of aviator sunglasses is perfect for your oval face because it draws attention to your cheekbones and away from your wider forehead.
If you’re looking for contrast, a square frame shape is a good choice. The angles contrast nicely with the roundness of your face. In addition, the symmetry of a square frame works well with the symmetry of an oval-shaped face.
You may not think round sunglasses would look good on an oval face, but you should give them a try. A round frame adds softness with a retro flair. If you have a small face, consider a wire frame because it’s less likely to overwhelm your features.
The even proportions of an oval face shape are perfect for sunglasses with a rectangular frame. Similar to square sunglasses, the sharp angles of rectangle sunglasses complement your face shape and highlight your more prominent cheekbones.
This iconic shape is a bestseller because it looks good on any face shape. These retro square frames are some of the best sunglasses for oval-shaped faces because they’re wide around the eyes and don’t call attention to your narrow chin or wider forehead.
Whatever sunglasses you choose, try to avoid picking a pair that is wider than your cheekbones because they can overpower your face.
More Tips for Buying Sunglasses
Here are a few more things to remember when buying sunglasses:
- Get 100% UVA-UVB protection – Exposure to the sun’s UVA and UVB rays can damage your eyes over time and eventually may lead to macular degeneration, cataracts, and other vision problems. Look for a sticker or tag that says the sunglasses have 100% UVA-UVB protection or offer UV absorption up to 400 nm.
- Consider polarized lenses – Sunglasses with polarized lenses filter glare and help you see better when you're in the sun. They’re especially helpful around water and other reflective surfaces.
- Try oversized frames or wraparound styles – Oversized sunglasses cover more of your face to protect it against sun exposure. Wraparounds help block the sun from entering your eyes from the sides of the frames.
- Show your personality – Don’t be afraid to try frames with bright colors and patterns, or with tinted or mirrored lenses. Stand out and let your personality shine through!
The best sunglasses for you are the ones that you’ll feel comfortable wearing whenever you go out in the sun. We have a wide variety of sunglass styles to fit and flatter all face shapes — all of which come with 100% UVA-UVB lens protection and a scratch-resistant coating.
- The best glasses for oblong face shapes. All About Vision. March 2021.
* Like Foster Grant, All About Vision and AAV Media, LLC are affiliates of EssilorLuxottica