5 Best Sunglasses for Round Face Shapes
The right sunglasses not only express your personal style but also help protect your eyes from the sun’s ultraviolet (UV) rays. If you have a round face, there are a wide array of frames that can flatter your features and enhance your natural beauty.
How to Determine if You Have a Round Face
Knowing your facial shape can help you select the ideal pair of sunglasses. Features of a round face include:
- Full cheeks
- Soft, rounded jawline
- Symmetrical appearance (length and width of the face are relatively equal)
To determine your facial shape, it can be helpful to take a few measurements. Follow these steps to learn if you have a round face:
1. Get a soft tape measure, a pen, and paper, and stand in front of a mirror.
2. Move your hair away from your face so you can get accurate measurements.
3. Measure the width of your face by placing the tape measure at the top of one cheekbone and pulling it across your nose to the top of the opposite cheekbone. Make a note of the number.
4. Measure the length of your face by placing the tape measure at the top of your forehead and pulling it down to the bottom of your chin. Write down this number as well.
5. Compare the numbers you recorded. If these measurements are close to each other, you likely have a round face shape.
The perfect sunglasses can help you channel an iconic style. Below are a few styles of sunglasses that are most flattering for people with round faces.
5 Best Sunglasses for a Round Face
No matter your face shape, your goal should be to create balance and contrast to highlight your natural features. Here are some of the best sunglasses for men and women with round faces.
Square and Rectangular Sunglasses
Square and rectangular sunglasses help define facial features and create a more structured appearance. Make sure to choose a pair that is a little wider than the broadest part of your face (usually the cheekbone).
Browline shades have a unique, retro look that is ideal for nearly anyone who wants to make a statement. The rectangular frame has a more rounded shape on the bottom. This combination of lines creates an interesting contrast that can help highlight facial features.
Cat Eye Sunglasses
Cat eye sunglasses lift and elongate the face with a unique upward curve. By drawing attention upward, this frame shape can create a slimming effect and add definition to the face. Choose a fun embellished pair of shades to make a statement or keep it simple with a traditional black cat eye frame.
Aviator sunglasses are a versatile and timeless option for people with round faces. Their thin metal frames and teardrop shape are both iconic and flattering. Men tend to gravitate towards silver Aviators with a double bridge, and women often find that colorful lenses add a touch of glamor to their look.
Way-style shades look great on most people but can be particularly flattering on round faces. The angular frame and bold lines create an attractive contrast. Choosing way-styles with intricate details can add extra personality to your sunglasses collection.
Helpful Tips for Choosing Sunglasses
Here are some tips to keep in mind when shopping for your next pair of shades:
- Get lenses with 100% UVA-UVB protection – UV exposure can damage your eyes and lead to vision problems over time. Wearing sunglasses that offer 100% UVA-UVB protection can help shield your eyes from the sun’s harmful rays.
- Try polarized lenses – Sunglasses with polarized lenses reduce glare from water, snow, and other reflective surfaces. Polarized sunglasses help improve visual clarity when spending time outdoors.
Choosing an ideal pair of sunglasses for a round face can make you feel confident and comfortable. Experiment with different styles and frames until you find the perfect match. Browse our collection today and see why so many people trust Foster Grant for their eyewear needs.
- Do sunglasses actually protect your eyes? Cleveland Clinic. June 2023.
- What is my face shape? All About Vision. March 2021.
*Like Foster Grant, All About Vision and AAV Media, LLC are affiliates of EssilorLuxottica
*The sources listed here have been provided for informational purposes only. The citation of a particular source does not constitute an endorsement or approval of EssilorLuxottica products, services, or opinions by such source.