6 Best Sunglasses for Square Face Shapes
If you’re looking for the perfect pair of sunglasses, you know that one size definitely does not fit all. If you have a square face shape, some sunglasses styles may flatter your facial features more than others.
How to Figure Out if You Have a Square Face
The first step in choosing sunglasses to flatter your face shape is to know what shape you have. Characteristics of a square face include:
- Strong, angular features
- Broad forehead
- Wide cheekbones
- Defined jawline
- Symmetrical appearance
If any of those characteristics describe your face, here's how you can get a better idea if your face is indeed square:
- Get a soft tape measure along with a pen and paper to write down your measurements.
- Stand in front of a mirror and move your hair away from your face.
- Measure the width of your forehead by holding the tape measure horizontally from one side of your face to the other about halfway between your eyebrows and hairline. Write down the number.
- Measure the width across your cheekbones, which are just under the outer corners of your eyes. Make a note of that number too.
- Finally, measure your jawline.
If your forehead, cheekbones, and jawline are about the same width, you have a square face.
How to Choose Sunglasses for a Square Face
The key to finding the best sunglasses styles for a square face shape is to choose a frame that softens your angular features. In general, sunglasses with soft, thin lines and curves complement a square-shaped face.
Keep these tips in mind when you're shopping for sunglasses:
- Frame shapes – Round frames and oval frames are good choices because they contrast with the sharp angles of your face. You may want to avoid a rectangular frame shape and a square shape since these can call attention to the angularity of your face.
- Frame size – Sunglasses that are slightly wider than your cheekbones, but not too big overall, are usually a good option. Oversized sunglasses can seem to overwhelm your face, and smaller frames may make it look bigger.
- Frame material – Lightweight frame materials like acetate and plastic can add softness to your angular features. Avoid heavy or chunky frames because they may make your face appear more square.
6 Best Sunglasses for Square Faces
You have a lot of choices when it comes to buying sunglasses. Here are some styles that are most flattering for your square face:
- Round Sunglasses
Round sunglasses look great on square faces because their curved frames contrast nicely with your angular features. These sunglasses come in various sizes and materials, making it easy to find the perfect pair to match your style. If you're looking for a classic option, consider a pair of round sunglasses with thin metal frames.
You can recognize cat-eye sunglasses by their upswept outer corners. These frames are an excellent choice for square faces because they complement your angular features and draw attention to your cheekbones.
- Oval Sunglasses
Oval sunglasses are another great option for square faces. Their curved, elongated shape softens your angles and complements the balanced proportions of your face.
Aviator sunglasses have been a fashion staple for decades because they look good on all face shapes. Aviators are an excellent choice for people who have a square face. The teardrop-shaped lenses and thin metal frame create a nice balanced look for people with a strong jawline and wide cheekbones.
- Browline Sunglasses
As the name suggests, browline sunglasses are thicker at the top. This brings attention to your browline and helps balance out your strong jawline.
More Tips for Buying Sunglasses
Now that you know the best sunglasses for your face, here are a few more things to remember before you make a purchase:
- Make sure the sunglasses have 100% UV protection – The most important reason to wear sunglasses is to protect your eyes from the sun’s ultraviolet (UV) radiation. Over time, UVA-UVB exposure can damage your eyes and increase your risk of developing macular degeneration, cataracts, and other vision problems.
- Consider polarized sunglasses – If you spend time on the water or around other reflective surfaces, sunglasses with polarized lenses may help. They’re designed to reduce glare in these reflective conditions.
- Make a fashion statement – Sunglasses frames and lenses come in lots of colors. Try bold or bright frames and tinted or mirrored lenses to showcase your personality.
The perfect pair of sunglasses for your square-shaped face is the pair that protects your eyes from the sun’s harmful UVA-UVB rays and makes you feel good. We have a wide variety of sunglasses styles to fit and flatter your face shape, and they all come with 100% UVA-UVB lens protection and a scratch-resistant coating.